Monday 13/10/14 2-3 PM
Paula Duggan and Kim Pedlow spoke to teachers at Beachlands School about learning and behavioral difficulties. How to access help.
Discussions centred around the difficulty in accessing timely educational psychometric assessments. The following guidelines were considered….
3 June 1999 …..meeting of Geraldton school principals, educational psychologists, paediatricians approved the following
• Suggested guidelines for Educational Psychology Assessments for students at risk:
– Suspension or threatened suspension
– Remedial teaching for consideration of such
– Repeating a year or consideration of such
– Significant under performance
– School refusal
• Suggested Guidelines for content of Educational Psychology Assessment. It is
considered vitally important to first ascertain these students potential compared with
skill and achievement. This would entail:
– Assessment of Intelligence eg. WISC or SLOSSON
– Testing of specific Learning Difficulties, particularly language based
– Assessment for Attentional Problems
It is deemed desirable to assess each child’ potential in the above manner prior to
engaging on any therapy such as behavioural modification
Kim to follow up with the education department.